Electoral Education at Grassroots and District level for Democratic Governance - EEDG
||Electoral Education at Grassroots and District level for Democratic Governance - EEDG
Five districts of Karnali zone namely
Jumla, Humla, Mugu, Kalikot, Dolpa and 75 VDCs
||37 Months (from April 2012 - April 2015)
||EURO 390,032.64 (NPR 39,392,958.12 )
A. Title of the Action: Electoral Education in Grassroots and District Level for Democratic Governance (EEDG).
B. Overall Objective of the action: To contribute towards strengthening the role of citizens in the electoral process so as to ensure a responsive, accountable and democratically elected government.
C. Specific Objectives
- To enhance capacity of inclusive potential leaders of districts and VDCs on critical information, knowledge of electoral process and governance.
- To aware and motivate districts and VDCs' citizens on overall electoral process and its importance on democratic governance.
- To monitor/observe the election (local and national) and act as citizen forum of election monitoring at district and VDC levels for free fair democratic election.
D. Location of the Action: Five districts of Karnali zone namely Jumla, Humla, Mugu, Kalikot, Dolpa and 75 VDCs
E. Duration of the Project: 37 Months (from April 2012 - April 2015)
F. Total Budget: EURO 390,032.64 (NPR 39,392,958.12 )
G. Partners in Local Level
Regional Level : Himalaya Conservation and Development Association (HCDA), Humla.
District Level :
- Humla & Dolpa :- Himalaya Conservation and Development Association (HCDA).
- Mugu :- Malika Community Development Centre (MCDC).
- Kalikot :- Human Rights and Environment Development Centre (HuRENDEC) Nepal.
- Jumla :- Surya Social Service Society (4S/Jumla).
H. Primary Right Holders:- The people of the Karnali zone shall be the primary right holders i.e poorest of poor, widows, poor women, vulnerable people, marginalized and excluded groups including dalits, indigenous nationalities, differently able people, and the people living in remote areas. Following groups are identified as primary right holders; Village Level Potential Leaders, Political Leaders, Media Persons, Civil Society, Security Personal Students.
I. Secondary Right Holders:- The persons, groups and the organization who will be communicated indirectly are the secondary right holders. NGOs, Different Governmental Organization, Civil Society and Organizations, National Media and Different Donner Agencies shall be the secondary right holders.
J. Strategies to implement the project.
- Central level coordination by Jagaran Nepal,
- Regular backstopping and feedback of Project Advisory Unit (PAU).
- Project Management Committee in centre to manage the overall activities of project.
- Close coordination with stakeholders working in same area.
- Regional level coordination by Himalaya Conservation & Development Association (HCDA) Humla.
- Partnership with NGOs in local level.
- Regular support, coordination and advice of District Coordination Committee (DCC) at district level.
- Mobilization of local human resource.
- Utilization of local socio- technologies(Utilization of traditional leaders as motivator for electoral education)
- Media mobilization and publication
- Capacity building.
- Formation and functional Election Monitoring Committee(EMC) in every district.
- Regular monitoring (Internal monitoring by Jagaran Nepal & HCDA board members and staffs).
- Baseline & end line survey to measure the change made by project.
- Gender mainstreaming as a cross cutting issue.
K. Expected Impact of the Action
- Sensitized political leaders, civil society and concerned govt. line agencies and stakeholders in addressing the electoral education need and other issues of Karnali zone.
- Better governance system in Karnali zone through the strong advocacy, regular & meaningful lobbying, and intervention of five civic forums.
- Gender sensitive, women friendly and fearless manner of election in the zone.
- Gender sensitive approach by the political parties, security forces and concerned stakeholders.
- Existing leader's traditional belief will be changed and supportive for democratic norms and values.
- Reflection of action as best practice to other adjoining districts and other NGO/INGOs.
- Synergy of knowledge of stakeholders possible.
- Increased voters turnout rate by 25% in local government election & 20% in national level election in Karnali Zone(Humla, Jumla, Kalikot, Dolpa and Mugu)
- Increased % (by 15%) of Political Parties’ inclusive candidates (Karnali Zone) for up-coming election based on existing inclusion policy.
- Increased % (by 25%) of political party's inclusiveness in district level committees.
- % of well informed (Informed on party manifestos, laws, bylaws, democratic governance, and local governance act 2055) citizen for making their choices while casting vote increased by 20%.
- Increased (by 10%) voting % of marginalized groups (Dalit,Janajati) including women.
- Decreased rate (by 25%) of invalid ballot.
- Number of violence incidents are reduced in Karnali zone during election (Comparison with past election)
- 40% of voters of 75 VDCs educated on electoral system.
- 50% of voters of 75 VDCs from marginalized groups including women, janajati & dalits informed on electoral education.
- 3250 students (75 schools* 40 students and 10 Colleges) informed on electoral education.
- About 3500 trained on Electroal Education and Decomartic Governance.
L. Expected Results and Activities to be carried out.
Result 1: Enhanced capacity of potential leaders of districts and VDCs in promoting and protecting electoral rights of the citizens.
- Seven days ToT to the inclusive potential leaders of district on critical information of electoral process, party manifestos, laws, bylaws, democratic governance, democratic norms, values, and local governance system.
- Three days orientation to the potential leaders of the VDCs on electoral process, party manifestos, laws, bylaws, democratic governance, democratic norms, values,and local governance system.
- Formation of citizen forum (advocacy group) at district level.
- Two days workshop with the national level likeminded organization / stakeholders on emerging issues related to election / electrol education.
- Seven days capacity building tranning to the staffs of local organizations, board members, regional and center staffs.
- One day workshop with the district level stakeholders on emerging issues related to election / electoral education.
Result 2: Better informed, more motivated and knowledgeable citizens of the districts and VDCs for casting their votes.
- Door-to door election awareness campaigns using IEC materials and street dramas.
- Two days training to traditional leaders on civic education, democratic norms, values and electoral process.
- Traditional Leader's exposure at central level.
- Democratic assembly in Kanali zone with the participation of senior political leaders, representatives of centre government and civil society.
- Documentary on the successful electoral education cases of Karnali.
- Village level campaigning for voter registartion.
- Sample voting using electronic voting machine (EVM).
- Support to Dalit, Women & Poor people of selected areas to get citizenship card and voter registration.
- Deuda (folk song) competition on electrol education at district level.
Result 3: Environment of free, fair and fearless manner of election which contributes eventually to a more responsive, transparent and accountable government.
- Three days election observation trainings to the civil society leaders.
- Three days media election monitoring training to journalists.
- Five days gender friendly election observation training to the security forces.
- Conduction of sample voting for gender friendly election.
- Two days workshop with the election commission and election monitoring agencies.
- One day district level seminar.
|Center Based Staffs||Regional Based Staffs|
|Project Advisor - 1||Regional Coordinator -1|
|National Project Coordinator - 1||Account Officer -1|
|Project Officer - 1|| |
|Admin and Finance Officer - 1||District Based Staffs|
|Information Communication and Documentation Officer - 1 ||District Project Coordinator - 5|
|Office Assistant - 1||Social Mobilizer - 10|